Pages

17 April 2012

All About Taxes

So it is tax day. Meaning that taxes are due and this just makes everybody whine. Some random tax thoughts after the jump.

Whenever anyone learns that they owe taxes, they always complain. I did too, then I thought about it. Once put in perspective, my taxes aren't that much. I found this out while driving (on a government road) to school (that the government payed for). Then, if someone cuts across traffic and hits my car, a police officer (government employee) will help to apprehend the other person. If I am hurt, a paramedic (government employee) will come and take me to the hospital. If when I go home, my house is on fire? A fireman (government employee) will come put it out for me. After thinking about all of that, I will gladly pay my taxes. It is not that bad, considering the alternative.

Also, flat tax. Do it. It is the fairest way to tax, seeing as how the wealthy in this country don't use 10% more of their income on public services that the government gives us. Why should someone who has a $15,000 income pay a smaller percentage of their income than someone who makes $95,000 a year. I think the flat tax should be somewhere between 15% and 20%, but that is more for the mathematicians and macroeconomists to figure out. Just do it, and soon.

Also, a great point was brought up when I was out to dinner at Chipotle the other night. If millionaires and billionaires want to be taxed more, why doesn't the government set up a donation center towards the national debt. In this, anyone could donate any amount of money to the government that goes directly to the national debt. Then Buffet and all of his rich friends wouldn't be able to keep complaining about not being taxed enough. We would also see how many people really care about the national debt; things change once it is coming out of your wallet. Moral to the story: all good ideas are thought of while eating delicious Chipotle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why did you stop blogging?